This entire site started ⓒ September 24, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by David Thomas, a certified Iyengar yoga instructor. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Oct 21, 2010

Reaching Out

I find it interesting how everyday life shows up in asanas. Just by moving into, staying and moving out of an asana can show me so many things about how I live my life. For example this week in class I observed that when I did Ardha Chandrasana that I really didn’t want to reach out and put my supporting hand on the floor. It was more comfortable just to place that supporting hand on the floor.
So realizing this I wanted to see the difference if I did reach out. At first it didn’t feel normal, I felt uncoordinated and uneasy within myself, it seemed that I wasn’t in control. The uneasiness was deep inside me, it wasn’t physical, because I could reach, I just felt uneasy doing it. Now this wasn’t the first time I’ve done this asana, but it was the first time I notice this reaction. So now this is my meditation when practicing asanas that involve reaching, I will slowly start to extend my reach.
That ability to reach out in my life isn’t developed to its fullest and this showed up in Ardha Chandrasana.
Like me, if you feel uneasy in an asana, use it as a meditation, slowly work on the asana until there is no more uneasiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment