This entire site started ⓒ September 24, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by David Thomas, a certified Iyengar yoga instructor. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Oct 16, 2010

Be familiar with the unknown

The importance of being you. The importance of being me. The importance of understanding who you are. The importance of understanding who I am. We as humans become familar with ourselves. I think we become so familar that we fall into a trap of thinking we really know who we are; it feels safe this way.
Most of us have busy lives, so the opportunity not to get caught up in that cycle of knowing comes around only once in a while. B.K.S. Iyengar says he is a student of Yoga. If this is true, then this doesn’t mean he starts his practice from a beginners’ level, but in his practice there is an unknown. When I practice headstand, for example, I place my arms and head in a way that I can connect with and receive energy from mother earth. That is something that a beginner needs to learn. Once in the pose I go through all the actions that I know; after that I can’t do anything more. Then comes the unknown. The unknown is a place of discovery. It’s a place of not being me, me doesn’t have anything to do with it, me needs to get out of the way. So in your life, find a time to not be you. Find a time to not be your job, not be a mother or father, or a son or daughter, or a wife or husband, just be.

1 comment:

  1. pretty profound David

    Thanks for the reminder.

    m

    ReplyDelete