This entire site started ⓒ September 24, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by David Thomas, a certified Iyengar yoga instructor. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Sep 26, 2010

Hold Your Horses

Did you ever hear someone say “hold on” or “hold your horses”? I guess it means wait a minute, or pause. Lots of times we are in our heads so much it’s hard to know what is happening. But there are natural pauses, there is a natural pause between breaths, and there is a natural pause between thoughts.

In any movement practice these natural pauses are important to observe. They are times when you learn what’s happening with body and mind.

I know when I practice, sometimes I get in a hurry, or the other way around, I just stay in the asana blindly. I never learn about myself in those times because I don’t connect with the pauses. When I do connect with the pauses I’m able to observe “what is”. For instance, when I pause it gives me the opportunity to see that I have more weight on one hand than the other in Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Hand Balance). For me I need that pause to observe, otherwise I get caught up in “Time”.

There are still times now that I just say “hold your horses” to myself and when I do I’m grateful for that reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment