This entire site started ⓒ September 24, 2010 to present day, and all photographs and text herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by David Thomas, a certified Iyengar yoga instructor. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).

Jul 16, 2012

What does the tail have to do with it?


The other day I walked into the living room and noticed Mr. Bear, our 11 year old lab, sitting in front of the window that looks out over the Avon Valley. He seemed to be intently watching the birds on the front lawn.  Interested in seeing things from his perspective, I sat down on the floor in back of him so I wouldn't disturb him. I sat there with legs straight out in front of me. In yoga we would call that Dandasana. I knew if I made any sudden move he would notice me and get up and come over to me, so I just sat as still as possible and observed him. He seemed to be rooted to the floor but at the same time he was ready to spring up off of the floor. I bet you that I don't look like that. I thought to myself if I had a tail like that I would have so much more support. 
 
It made me think that our tail bone must have that quality of support, but it isn't usually utilized. So I started to play around with imagining that I had this long sweeping tail. After awhile what I noticed was that when I imagined having a long sweeping tail, I started to feel my body respond; my spine became more energetic and I started to feel a quality of being able to spring away, as though I could spring off the floor. That is when Bear noticed me and came over, his tailing wagging as he put his paw on my leg and looked me square in the eyes as though to say, get your act together and take me for a walk.
 
How a dog holds and uses his or her tail says a lot about them. I would suspect that our tails say just as much about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment